Mapping an Irrigreen sprinkler zone is relatively straightforward. The app prompts you to input watering points along the zone’s edge(s). It then uses them to create a dot-to-dot map of the perimeter the sprinkler head will follow.
The Irrigreen app is set up to be user-friendly and intuitive, making it easy to navigate through setting up or adjusting the digital watering zones. That said, we've put together step-by-step instructions to help make the zone mapping process even easier.
Mapping the Watering Zone Shape
The app will automatically save points as you map them; there isn’t any need to click save. When the entire zone is mapped, you then save the zone shape and exit.
Note: Before starting to map a zone, use landscaping flags to mark where you want the map points to be in that zone. Flagging spots makes them more visible and easier to see in the grass. Thus making it easier to add them in the app and fine-tune the spray pattern.
- When in the Irrigreen app dashboard, select “Zones” at the bottom of the screen.
- Then select “Digital Zone 1” (or whatever zone you’re mapping).
- Under “Set Watering Shape,” click “Edit.” While the sprinkler starts, the screen shows tips about adding points and fine-tuning the spray. You can pan and pinch to zoom the screen like Google or Apple Maps.
- Click “Continue” to proceed.
- At this point, the sprinkler head will pop up, come on, and spray about 15’.
- You’ll see a basic representation of the sprinkler head and its spray pattern on the screen. Orient the point on your app to match your view when looking at the sprinkler head. It will make it easier to adjust.
- Click the blue “Add Point” button at the bottom right. This first point you add will be the starting point or leading edge where the sprinkler head sprays when it turns on.
- Hold and drag the blue dot (that represents the point) to roughly where you want the head to spray.
- As the sprinkler head moves to spray water towards this point, the fine adjustment controls will pop up on the screen. Tap the up and down controls to lengthen or shorten the spray and the left and right arrows to move the spray to one side or the other.
- To continue mapping the spray pattern, click the blue “Add Point” button at the bottom right and repeat steps 7 and 8.
- Add points until you have drawn the whole zone.
- Click “Play” at the bottom left when all points are entered. The system will then quickly run through the entire sequence, demonstrating the entire map.
- You can add extra points if you need more tracking in a spot or fine-tune points.
- If you’re happy with the map shape, click “Save & Exit” at the top to return to the Zones screen.
- To add another digital zone, repeat the process.
- To delete a point, click on the blue dot to highlight it, and then click the “Delete” button.
- To start the zone mapping over, click the gear button at the top right and go into the settings menu. Then select “Erase All Points” and confirm you want to erase them to wipe out the map and begin again.
- To recenter the map on your smartphone or tablet, click “Recenter” at the bottom of the screen. It will reorient the map, putting you in the viewpoint right behind the sprinkler head. You can then pan or zoom as needed.
Tips for Mapping Digital Zones
- The first point in a zone must be a minimum of 10’ from the sprinkler head. This distance ensures the riser fully pops up and seats itself.
- Always set points to track about 6” in from the zone's outer edge. The water will seep through the soil and cover that remaining distance.
- Place points 5’ apart along straight edges and 1 to 3’ apart on curves.
- Try using as few map points as possible to create the zone shape. If spots need better tracking, add additional points as needed.
- The app can save up to 50 map points per digital zone.
How to Change the Zone Name and Add a Picture
The Irrigreen app automatically assigns pre-set names for the digital zones, e.g., “Digital Zone 1”, “Digital Zone 2”, etc. You can designate a specialized name for each zone to help navigate the system easier and also add a photo if you’d like.
To change the zone name or add an image:
- When in the app dashboard, select “Zones” at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Digital Zone 1” or whatever zone you wish to change.
- Click the pencil icon next to the name of the zone.
- In the text box under “Name,” erase the preset name and change it.
- Click the icon and “Tap to Edit” on the image to upload a zone picture.